AQA and specification partner The Nuffield Foundation offers teachers a wide variety of support and resources for this specification. including:
- the Science In Society course website
- schemes of work for AS and A2, suggesting possible teaching approaches and topics such as: germ theory of disease, transport and pollutants, natural selection and the origins of the Universe
- sample questions and mark schemes for each of the four units
- Reports on the Examinations, highlighting common errors and strengths
- Scheme of Work and other guidance for teachers
The latest exam documents and controlled assessment tasks are available in the Secure Key Materials area of e-AQA. You need to register and log in to be able to access these resources.
PDFs open in a new window.
Resources for students
Interpreting your results
View our June 2015 webinar and FAQs on getting ready for summer 2015 results.
3.2.2 Study of a Topical Scientific Issue
Introducing coursework 2
A suggested scheme of work for the Topical Issue
Introducing Topical Issue (33 KB)
What to Choose power point
A short presentation to remind students of some points to consider when choosing their topic.
Powerpoint (82 KB)
A list of links to reliable and accessible sources of information on topical issues. For specific topics students can refer to the web links provided with each topic.
Weblinks (31 KB)
Student speak Marking Grid
A student-friendly version of the marking scheme for the topical issue that students can use to mark sample pieces of work, as well as their own finished work; it provides useful guidance on what is expected.
Student speak marking grid (41 KB)
Writing your study
A set of questions to check that students have understood the advice in the textbook pages 201-206.
Writing your study (30 KB)
Samples of coursework
More samples to supplement those given out at Standardising meetings.
Topical issue Sample 1 (99 KB)
Topical issue Sample 2 (6.8 MB)
Comments on Topical issues (31 KB)