06Oct 2013 by qessays
What is a cause and effect essay?
Students consider Cause and effect essays to be easy; however, the process of writing an impeccable paper is not easy. Before you start working on any type of an easy, you need to first understand what is expected of you.
By definition, a cause and effect essay is meant to identify a topic and expound on its cause and effects. Although it is the desire of every student to get maximum points in an essay writing contest, achieving that is not easy. It is important for you to carefully select your cause and effect essay topic carefully in order to ensure you tackle a subject that you clearly understand or can research on comfortably.
Easy steps to follow when you are writing a cause and effect essay
First thing you should do is differentiate between cause and effect. A cause is that which led to something. Effect is what happens after the cause. To identify the cause, you should ask yourself, why did it happen? On the other hand, to identify the effect you should ask yourself, what happened after that? Sometimes a cause has one effect but at other times one cause might have many effects.
Examples of cause and effect essay ideas
- Cause: You forgot to replace an old car tire
Effect: you are forced to stop midway to replace the tire
- Cause: We cut trees excessively
No food for the population
List of cause and effect essay topics
- Causes and effects of unemployment
- Cause and effect of war
- Cause and effect of cold war
- Cause and effect of stress on college students
- Cause and Effects of Climatic Changes
- Weather effects on the structure of the Panama Canal
- Effects of Sugar-free Junk Food
- Effects of Gutter oil in China
- Technology Causes Anxiety
- 7 effects for the increasing population of women
- Causes and effect of a series of miscarriages
- Causes and effect of junk food
- Causes and effects of child misbehavior at school
- Causes and effects of electrical faults
- Causes and effects of facial surgery
- Causes and effects of noise pollution
- Causes and effects of sex addiction
- Causes and effects of wrestling to kids
- Causes of high rate of crime in the suburban areas
- Causes of radiology in Chinese
- Effects of boarding schools to young kids
- Effects of detecting cancer at a late stage
- Effects of growing up with a single parent
- Effects of technology on the coming generation
- Explain the causes of the police force being the corrupt institute all over the world
- How are fast foods suitable for your health
- Only a small percentage of students read newspapers, why is that?
- The cause and effect of the most important event in the Kenyan history
- The effect of living in a ghetto estate
- The effects of downloading music on the music industry
- The effects of joining a cult at your new campus
- The effects of moving to a new estate with your elderly parents
- The effects of stress on students in university
- The effects of the steady increase in the cost of buying a house
- The long-term effects of being single on a person
- Top 5 causes and effects of a peer group
- Why Africans prefer to remain conservative about their tradition
- Why businesses are doing well in America
- Why chemistry in college is so difficult
- Why divorce cases are highly increasing
- Why it is important for women to change their dressing code as they grow older
- Why many adults are still fond of animated movies.
- Why many adults never want to be corrected
- Why many Canadians prefer imported cars
- Why many children at their teenage years run away from home
- Why older women tend to lie about their age
- Why online shopping is becoming so popular
- Why rugby players are heavy built
- Why some roomies can’t get along
- Why students get expelled from University
- Why women are their own enemies
- Why women dress badly
- What are the effects of poor communication skills
- What are the effects of poor leadership
- Cause and effects of forest fires
- Causes and effects of land pollution
- Cause and effects of media violence
- Causes and effects of global warming
- Causes of atmospheric pollution
- Causes and Effects of volcanic eruption
- Causes and effects of teenage depression
- Effects of legalizing abortion
- Cause and effects of TV adverts on adolescents
- Causes of contracting cancer
- Effects of using mobile phones too much
- Causes for the popularity of fast food restaurants
- What are the causes and effect of the computer revolution?
- The effect of SSRIs on adolescents
- The causes of children tantrums
- The effects of sleep deprivation to work productivity
- What are cause and effects of divorce?
- What are effects of long term relations on marriages?
- Why would many men run away from relationship related responsibilities?
- Do feminist groups affect relations and the traditional marriage set ups?
- Why are women attracted to irresponsible men and how does that affect their future relationships with men?
- Does education help improve marriage bonds?
- Does pornography affect individuals in relationships
- Does getting children outside the wedlock rise the number of single parenthood?
- Are children the most important fact in a marriage?
- Are men always the heads in their marriages?
- Is marriage more of an economic engagement than a social relationship?
- Is health an impediment to a happy marriage life?
- What is the main single cause of single parenthood?
- Why are so many youth engaging in sexual activity at an early age?
- Why are daughters always in better terms with their fathers than mothers?
- How does the economic position of parents affect their children?
- Why family became poor despite their number and collective efforts?
- What causes poverty in a country?
- Why does the number of homeless family grow every year despite government efforts?
- How does global warming relate to food security?
- How does woman earning more than a man affect their relationship?
- How does religion affect family unions?
- What is the effects racism on global cohesion?
- How does racism affect education and individual performance in school?
- Why is a racism still persistent year after the global against the vice started?
- How HIV/AIDs help the war against racism?
- Why employers discriminate against people with disabilities?
- How poverty does affect the growing up of individuals?
- Effects of childhood abuse on adults
- Effects of use of mobile phones in schools on children
- Causes and effects of early pregnancies on the education of girl child
- Causes and effects of cyber bullying
- Causes and effects of software piracy on the software industrial growth
- What are the cause and effects of diabetes in children?
- Why is obesity increasing becoming a problem around the world?
- Cause of increasing terror activities around the world
- Effects of terror activities on diplomatic relations between countries
- Why the war again terror has never been won
Cause and Effect Sentences Examples
- A peacock spreads his feathers to attract a female
- Since there was no electricity for better part of the day, the ice cream in the freezer melted
- Tsunamis are caused by quakes at the base of the ocean
- Jimmy played better than other kids because his father was a member of the national team
- When you heat water, the molecules move faster, and the water eventually boils
- The bus fares were reduced, so we bought some snacks on our way home
- Since helium is less dense than atmospheric air, helium balloons raise high in the air
- When ships continue spilling oil in the ocean, marine life is destroyed
- Since the teachers were not presents, we went earlier than usual
- Elizabeth was effective throughout the year, so she was promoted
- We forgot set the alarm, and we missed the presentations
- Because of a price changes, the sales are dropped.
- The baby was crying all night, so the mother took it to a hospital
- Recent classification led to changes in the solar system, and Pluto is no longer a planet
- The wind destroyed the roof of the house complexly, and the family was forced to relocate
- Greenhouse gases are increasing every day, as a result global warming effects are felt everywhere
- A water molecule is formed when two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom combine to form a stable bond
- John’s hair was unkempt, the teacher asked him to go back and comb it
- My hands were still shaking, so I spilled my tea
The number of possible cause and effect essay topics is limitless. The choice of a title is solely dependent on you.
Whichever title you pick for your essay, try to make you essay as elaborate as possible. If you need help with a cause and effect essay, do not hesitate to contact us. You can also order the essay directly here
See also: Presentation topics, proposal essay topics, Best seminar topics and definition essay topics
“For many phenomena, 80% of consequences stem from 20% of causes.”
Joseph M. Juran
The entire universe is connected and so are the people, events, ideas. Sometimes we are aware of these connections, but in other instances, we are not. Every cause has its consequence or results even if we don’t see it at a first glance. This is the premise behind cause and effect essays. A common assignment in high school and college, cause and effect essay urges a writer to elaborate root of the idea or problem and its larger impact. This useful guide will show you how to complete one such essay easily.
The main point of this essay is to determine how various ideas or phenomena are connected to one another. A write creates a scenario where one cause generates one or more consequences and why. The paper requires a deep understanding of the subject and focuses on explaining all the “whys” and “hows”. Contrary to the common misconception, this essay doesn’t just state a cause and result but also describes how and why it took place. Why did something happen? How did it occur?
Benefits of writing a cause and effect essay
Every essay has its purpose that goes beyond the subject. Believe it or not, essay writing is a practical and effective way of improving different skills you’ll be using throughout your life. That’s why students get these assignments in the first place. Let’s take a look at skills that you develop while working on a cause and effect essay:
- Writing skills – of course, working on different assignments sharpens your writing skills and this essay is not an exception
- Organizational skills – we need to be organized in every aspect of our lives in order to get something done. Cause and effect essay improves your ability to get organized. You arrange causes and effects in a way that will keep reader’s interest and avoid creating additional confusions about the subject. While researching, you can identify a multitude of causes and effects. Good organizational skills are essential to categorize them and include into your essay properly
- Attention to details – this form of essay isn’t just about mention a cause and consequences that everyone can see, it digs deep and highlight some causal links we don’t notice easily. To do this, you need to pay attention to details. Frequent cause and effect essay writing sharpens this skill and it can only be good for you, especially in the working environment
- Objective thinking – the goal is to report a causal link between two ideas or situations without letting your emotions interfere with the way you write. Being unbiased is a great skill to adopt as it only makes you seem more authoritative and responsible
Areas of interest
Similarly to other forms of essay writing, cause and effect paper can write about everything that’s happening in the world around us. Everything you see, read, witness, hear, or experience can be turned into a discussion and, thereby a cause and effect essay. Every action has its consequences. That means you have plenty of causes (actions) and effects (consequences) to write about. Here are common categories:
- World events
- Social issues
- Relationships and marriage
- Health and medicine
Cause and effect essay outline
Quality of your cause and effect essay depends on the outline you follow. You can consider outline as the spine of your essay. Just like spine supports the body, outline supports your paper and keeps you on the right track. We have a lot to say when writing an essay and it’s easy to get off the subject. The strong outline doesn’t allow that to happen. Here’s an outline of cause and effect essay:
- Introduction – sets the tone of the essay, catches reader’s attention, and creates a sound basis for the entire paper. It provides background information that introduces the topic and finishes with a thesis statement
- Causes/effects – the central part of the essay and one can write it in many ways. You can mention causes or effects individually or causal links (causes + effects). The approach depends on the way you organize the paper or causes and effects you wish to discuss
- Conclusion – restates the topic and its importance summarizes causes and effects discussed and calls for action while explaining what could happen if we don’t act on the matter
Having to discuss some subject in a detail and mention its causes and effects may be overwhelming. Don’t worry; it’s perfectly natural to be concerned. It shows you care. Too much stress, though, is not a good thing. In order to minimize stress, you need to know all the tricks and tips that make the writing process easier, and here they are:
- Understand cause vs. effects – it is not uncommon for students to mix them up. Cause is the catalyst or the reason behind the occurrence of some event while effect is its consequence
- Research – regardless of the type of the paper, research is a must. Investigate the subject from different angles, think outside the box, and collect information that you’ll use later
- Make meaningful links – you need to explain effects by making appropriate links to causes. Their relationship has to be solid and discussed thoroughly. Avoid discussing causes and effects that have a barely noticeable link
- Quality over quantity – avoid piling causes and effects one after another. Remember, you should provide a deeper insight into their relationship and use evidence to support your claims. Quality of a cause-effect link beats quantity
- Choose the method – you can arrange causes and effects in a chronological order, based on the importance, or categorize them. Choose the approach you find most convenient
- Smooth transition – to avoid choppiness, use transition words that allow you to switch from one point to another seamlessly. Transition words for causes include: due to, because, first, since etc. Words for causes include: consequently, thereby, hence, therefore, thus
- Remember the purpose – the goal of this essay is to inform the reader about causes and effects associated with some subject, it rarely (almost never) involves persuading someone to adopt your view
- Be unbiased – you may agree or disagree with someone, like or dislike, love or hate, but you should never show it in the paper. Cause and effect essay should be unbiased or objective
- Don’t exaggerate – for a stronger impact one might feel tempted to exaggerate the effects or causes, but you need to avoid doing that. Stick to the facts only
- Evidence – it’s not enough to write “this cause has this effect”, you need evidence to support everything you write. Use reputable journals, publications, and other respected sources during this process
Cause and Effect Essay Topics
You get to choose your own cause and effect essay topic? That’s wonderful! In many cases lecturers allow students to write an essay based on a subject they choose for themselves. Some students spend hours thinking about topics they could discuss, but you don’t have to do that.
Good Cause and Effect Essay Topics
Here are great ideas for you:
- Causes of voter apathy
- What is the effect of divorce on children? Does the child’s age make any difference?
- Effects of abortion on a relationship
- Causes behind US poverty
- Causes of homelessness and its effects on society
- Effects of increasing obesity rates in the US
- Effects of stress on health
- What are the effects of violent video games on a child’s cognition and behavior?
- Causes of addition to exercise and its effects
- College dropout rates have never been higher: causes and effects
- Reasons why online shopping makes internet users spend more money
- Positive and negative effects of technology on our lives
- Effects of feminism on marriage
- Causes and effects of air pollution
- What was the effect of colonialism on Britain’s view of itself?
Cause and Effect Essay Topics Ideas: Relationships and family
- What causes people to cheat on each their partners.
- Effects of living together before the marriage.
- Long-term effects of growing up with a single parent.
- What is the effect of family vacations on family relationships?
- What are causes of destructive relationships between siblings?
Cause and Effect Essay Topics Ideas: Environment
- What is the most dangerous factor that affects the world climate changes today?
- Has human curiosity had an overall positive or negative effect on the planet?
- What effect did human curiosity in relation to our planet?
- What are causes of environmental catastrophes?
- What could be the effects of global warming on the planet?
Cause and Effect Essay Topics Ideas: Social issues
- What impact does frequent violence (either from war or street violence) have on a community?
- What effect makes social networks on real life communications?
- What are the causes of poverty in megalopolises?
- How lack of freedom can effect on the society?
- What are the effects of living in poor housing?
Cause and Effect Essay Topics Ideas: Technology
- Effects of modern technological progress on children.
- What impact has the internet on youth?
- What are effects of using modern technologies during the class work?
- How technology development affects the state of nature?
- What are causes of technological advancements in Japan?
Cause and Effect Essay Topics Ideas: Education
- What are causes and effects of changing a major in the middle of the studies?
- What makes a person be an excellent student?
- The causes and effects of an exam failure.
- The cause and effects of cheating at the exams.
- What are the effects of student involvement into extra-curricular activities?
Cause and Effect Essay Topics Ideas: Psychology
- Why has depression become one of the most wide-spread illnesses?
- What makes a person have a good mood?
- The effects of stress on students who both study and work.
- Why is good mental health no less important than physical well-being?
- What are causes and effects of having an empathy?
Topic Ideas: Health
- How does a person’s diet affect his or her health?
- Causes and effects of vaccination in teenage age.
- Effects of having smallpox in adult age.
- What are causes of long-term smoking?
- What are the causes and effect of insomnia during exam week?
Topic Ideas: Food
- Cause and effects of eating seafood.
- Effects of eating only vegetarian food.
- Why is it dangerous to eat in cheap fast food restaurants?
- Effects of eating genetically modified foods.
- What are the typical causes of loss of appetite?
Topic Ideas: Sport
- How regular workout improves the productivity of a person?
- Causes and effects of skipping physical education lessons in school.
- What are effects of doing sports professionally?
- Causes and effects of sports violence.
- What effect does doing extreme sports have?
Topic Ideas: Culture
- What is the reason of popularity of movies based on comic books?
- How listening to favorite music affect the person?
- Why are summer music festivals so popular among youth?
- How free music downloading effects the artist
- What are long-term effects of video games playing addiction?
The cause and effect essay writing doesn’t have to turn into a major struggle. You have the opportunity to make this process easy. How? It’s simple; thanks to the amazing breakthrough of technology and easy internet availability, students have access to multiple platforms and tools that simplify essay writing. Here are a few examples.
Essay topic generator
Instead of browsing Google and spending hours trying to come up with a cause and effect essay topic, you can just use Edusson Magic Help. The platform displays a multitude of topic ideas you can use to practice or write your own essay. Search by alphabet, category, most popular topics, or simply enter a keyword and you’ll see an abundance of titles that will inspire you.
Use Edusson Magic Help essay samples to see how other students wrote their own cause and effect essays. This will inspire you to write your own, recognize strengths and weaknesses, and avoid common pitfalls. With a prescription plan, you can also save some essays in the library and read them later.
Essay checker called RobotDon is a highly practical platform and the best tool a student can use when writing an essay. The software utilizes cutting-edge algorithms to analyze uniqueness and check for plagiarism. In addition, it checks sentence structure, rhythm, readability, word use, and overall quality of your paper.
Essay writing service
Professional writing service gathers an amazing team of writers who can create cause and effect essay based on your needs, deadline, word count, and other info you provide. The essay is written from scratch and made to reflect your own position on the subject.
Essay editing service
For students who just need someone to go through an essay and correct mistakes, the editing service at Edusson is the best solution. Editors and proofreaders read and correct spelling and grammar mistakes, improve your style and formatting, and enhance the overall quality of the paper