One of the key skills in achieving success at the university is learning how to set goals. Studies have shown that students who have set academic goals for themselves are more likely to complete their college education. Goals can be short term (an “A” in Psychology) or long term (graduate with Highest Honors in your major). Defining your goals helps you structure your time so that you can focus on what’s important to you.
The basic steps to setting a goal are:
- Identify your short and long-term goals and put them in writing. Think about what you’d like to accomplish; what skills you’d like to master; what connections you’d like to make at the university. Make sure your goals are realistic and fit your personality, lifestyle and values.
- Describe what each goal will look like when it is accomplished. For example a goal of finding a major that fits your interests would be accomplished when you formally declare your major. A goal of graduating with honors would be completed when you walk across the stage at graduation and hear your honors announced or when you receive your diploma.
- Keep your list handy for future reference and review it periodically.
This is obviously very brief. To learn more about setting academic goals, you can do your own research on setting academic goals or review some of these resources:
• Setting & Reaching Academic Goals from the Academic Development Office at Carnegie Mellon University: http://www.cmu.edu/acadev/fastfact/Academic%20Goals08.pdf
• An example of setting academic goals for the quarter: http://www.byui.edu/StudySkills/skills/tips%20documents/Setting%20Academic%20Goals_1.pdf
Personal Academic Goals Essay
693 WordsNov 2nd, 20103 Pages
Personal Academic Goals
Life is a continual learning process, which requires a strong method to develop better ways of apprenticeship. Personally, being able to obtain a higher education gives me an opportunity to be better in many ways. Everyone should have any personal goals in life in order to survive, prosper and succeed in every journey that life gives. As for me, being a University of Phoenix student, I hope to achieve all of my goals on which I have been trying to pursue and obtain through the years. They are goals that I believe I need to have to be a successful member of the society, and through attending the university I also hope to gain a more positive image of myself, build my personal growth, along with achieving…show more content…
As for my employer, my leaders have every intention to encourage me to align my personal life, which is school, with my professional life. Also, encountering new people will provide me with the opportunity to improve myself as well as to help others with their improvement. By taking advantage of my employers Tuition Assistance Program I believe that both my employer and I will benefit from my continued education. Bachelors of Science in Business concentrated in Information systems through the University of Phoenix will open me a new world of successfulness, and I feel that school and my employer will help me to be able accomplish my goals. Meeting new people at every class will allow me to have the opportunity to expand my horizons.
In addition, moving on into new learning adversities will also open new doorways in the world of competitiveness, and also will challenge me to get to another stage of my life. Looking for new areas of personal development being backed up by a title and away from getting some extra digits in my paycheck will help me to strengthen my values and criteria toward this challenging world. Also, one objective I have set is to be a teacher. Recently, I discovered that sharing my knowledge is something I would love to do once I am a realized person. That would be a pleasant way to share something to this society.