A student who satisfies all of the following criteria is eligible to apply:
* Only citizens of a country other than India can apply.
* Candidate should have passed qualifying examination (Grade 12) with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics with adequate proficiency in English conducted by the country's Board of Higher/ Senior Secondary Education, including those in India, or its equivalent examination such as the “A” levels (conducted by Cambridge International), the International Baccalaureate, etc.
* Candidate should have obtained a minimum of 75% aggregate marks (or 7.5 grade on 10-point scale), in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in the above examination.
* Candidate should have scored at least 60% marks (or 6.0 grade on 10-point scale) in each of Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics in the above examination.
* Candidate should have a minimum aggregate score of 1160 (out of maximum of 1600) in SAT (new format) and also a minimum aggregate score of 1600 (out of maximum of 2400) in SAT Subject Tests in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics Level 2.
* Scores of candidates who had written SAT as per the old format will be mapped using concordance tables available from College Board (USA).
* The candidate should have written the SAT and SAT subject tests not earlier than February 1, 2016.
Candidates who do not have any of the following marks/scores at the time of applying, can submit the application:
- SAT score (yet to take SAT)
- Qualifying examination results (appearing in qualifying examination in 2018).
They MUST submit the SAT score/qualifying examination result as early as possible, but NOT later than the dates given below:
- SAT score - June 15, 2018.
- Qualifying examination (Grade 12) results - September 15, 2018.
Qualifying examination (Grade 12) marks should be uploaded on the website by 15th June, 2018 if results are announced by then.
If a candidate fails to furnish any of these by the specified date or fails to meet the eligibility criteria (i.e. secures less than specified minimum in Class 12 (only) and/ or SAT test and thus becomes ineligible), his/ her admission would stand cancelled. Details of Refund Policy will be announced at the time of making admission offers.
Candidates for whom one or both of the above qualifying scores are not available at the time of making admission, would be considered and may be offered ‘provisional admission’ based on their SAT Subject test’s score.
The "provisional admission" would be confirmed after the missing score/s is/are received, found to meet the stipulated eligibility requirements, and all other stipulated admission requirements are complete.
Candidates who do not have SAT Subject Test scores (or yet to take the SAT Subject Tests) should provide SAT Subject Test scores by March 25, 2018 to be included in the merit list.
About The Scholarship
Bhushan Bhatia Graduate Application Scholarship provides financial assistance to BITSians for their applications to MS/PhD programs. We believe BITSians are among the very best in engineering our country has to offer and hence deserve the very best grad schools the world has to offer. This initiative is a small step towards ensuring that the financial burden of applications does not get in the way of an ambitious and successful app.
The cost of applying to graduate programs has risen considerably in the last few years. Taking the GRE costs ~$170, and the Subject Test and TOEFL cost $150 each; additional score reports come to at least $15 per university for each of these tests. Application fees for each program have also risen; at Stanford, for instance, the fee is $105. UC Berkeley and UIUC (both public schools) have fees of $80 and $75 respectively. Even for people applying to just 6 universities, the cost of tests and application fees alone can easily be over $1000. Then there are costs for transcripts, visa applications and processing, and much more.
How to Apply?
If you would like more information about this scholarship, or have any questions/comments/suggestions, please fill out the form below and the Scholarships team will contact you. (Note - The form is available during the application cycle only.)
Since applying has become so expensive, it's become harder for many BITSians to afford. The idea is for BITS alumni to pay for a significant part of the costs, making the application process more affordable. This should also encourage more BITSians to apply to top schools. We hope that the program will eventually become self-sustaining, with people who receive the scholarship in one year paying for the next generation of BITSians to apply. All students who are currently pursuing their undergraduate/graduate degree in any of the BITS campuses are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
Over the next few years, until the program becomes self-sustaining, its success will largely depend on the enthusiastic support of alumni for their juniors. The current plan is to support 3 students during their application process. Please note that BITSAA does not support funding for graduate studies at this point.
For any questions, please email: email@example.com
How can you contribute to this Scholarship?
If you would like to contribute to the scholarship program, you can help by donating towards it. All contributions are tax-deductible, and donors will receive a receipt at year end from BITSAA International.
If you would prefer to mail a check, please make it out to "BITSAA International", mention " BITSAA Graduate Application Scholarship" in the memo section and mail it to:
Attn: CFO, BITSAA International,
1560 Sunnyvale Saratoga Road,
Sunnyvale, CA 94087-4597
For any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you mail us a check, please don't forget to include your return address, the words "BITSAA Graduate Application Scholarship" on the check and an email address so we can mail your receipt and contact you if necessary.
Bhushan Bhatia Graduate Application Scholarships 2017 Recipients
Graduate Application Scholarships 2014 Recipients
|1||Achyudh Ram K||2013B3A70439G||Goa|
To know about the past recipients, click here.
To know about the BITSAA Expert Panel, click here.
"The BITSAA Grad App Scholarship not only provides financial support to apply to colleges with high application costs, but also serves as a sign of encouragement during those tense months of form-filling. Receiving this scholarship really boosted my confidence, and I applied with a renewed vigour. I thank the BITSAA team for this grant and look forward to making my parents and alma mater proud with my research work""
"This award will provide me a chance to explore the Analog& Mixed signal VLSI design domain in greater detail and further my desire to pursue higher studies at one of the most prestigious institutes of the world. I am thankful to BITSAA and to the donors for motivating us to pursue a career in the fields of our choice and hope to make the best of this opportunity through my studies and research.”
Yasir Mohsin Husain:
"I have always dreamt of doing my graduate studies from a prestigious US university. Announcement of this scholarship boosted my confidence to apply to top universities like Stanford, Cornell and UIUC besides the safe schools and it will surely help me fulfill my dream. In future, I would like to make my contribution to this endeavor and help the next generation of BITSians. Heartfelt thanks to all the alumni for this wonderful initiative!"
"The scholarship encouraged Devdatta to apply to top programs in Computer Science and also boosted his confidence, which helped during the talks with the faculty members interested in his application."
"The BITSAA Graduate Scholarship gave the much-needed boost to my confidence as I was planning a complete change of fields from Civil Engineering at BITS to Earth Science with no alumnus to look up to. The application process also made me introspect and better define my research interests which helped during all the interviews I gave for the top seismology departments later on. The scholarship support also helped me concentrate on the top programs and drastically reduce the number of "safe-schools” that I was planning to apply to."
"I would like to thank BITSAA for considering me worthy of this prestigious scholarship. The graduate scholarship has helped me in applying to more number of schools including some like University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (UIUC), Stanford University and Carnegie Mellon University which are pretty expensive. It is indeed a great initiative by BITSAA and I shall strive to maintain the excellence associated with this scholarship. "
Sohem Jayesh Desai
"I am thankful for BITSAA Graduate Application Scholarship. As a result of the scholarship, I am now able to increase upon my different university choices for my Masters and this definitely improves my chances of getting selected in a prominent University of the United States. To be selected amongst many by such prominent panelists who have all achieved success through BITS gave me a lot of encouragement to my resolve of making a mark in the future. BITS alumni and the BITS2MSPHD initiative have indeed helped in clearing many of the doubts that surfaced during the application procedure.I will definitely be there in the future to those BITSians who will be in my position. Thank You all for blessing me with such a wonderful goodwill."
"The BITSAA Graduate Scholarship is a great initiative to encourage students to pursue there ambitions and get through the expensive application process. I thank BITSAA for considering me for the scholarship, and I hope this initiative continues to help BITSians who are genuinely interested in research, realize their dreams."
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I apply for the scholarships even though I do not qualify for the BITS merit-cum-need program?
Yes, and we strongly encourage you to apply! We would like to award scholarships to encourage top students to apply to more highly-ranked universities. We hear every year of very good students who could get into MIT, Berkeley, CMU, Stanford, Cornell, etc., but don't apply to many of these schools. Admissions at these schools are very competitive, and involve some luck, so even the best students might not get admitted if they only apply to 1 or 2. If you would like to apply to the best graduate programs, but are only applying to 8-10 schools in total (including lower-ranked/"safety" schools) because it's too expensive to app to more, do apply for this scholarship; it may pay for 5-6 more applications to top schools.
Can I apply for the scholarships even though I have been working for the last n years?
No, you have to be a final year student to apply for Graduate Application Scholarship.
What documents do I need to send along with my application?
The details are asked in the application form. If we need anything more, we will contact you by email.
How can I contribute? Are contributions tax-deductible? Will I get a receipt? Can I contribute online or with a check?
Please see the above section on contributing to get answers to these questions. If you have further queries, please contact the email ID: email@example.com.
How are scholarship recipients selected?
From 2008 onwards, recipients are selected by a committee that will include contributors to the scholarship fund, and members nominated by BITSAA, but will primarily consist of BITSians in senior academic/research positions. We believe they will be best qualified to determine the best candidates for top graduate programs. The committee will set precise criteria every year, but students will typically be asked to provide resumes, links to any publications or reports, and to write short essays or letters answering any questions the committee may have.
- The scholarships are open to all BITSians from Pilani, Goa, Hyderabad & Dubai campuses, irrespective of their discipline.
- Final year students are eligible to apply.
- The scholarships will be awarded based primarily on academic merit.
- Financial need will also be a factor in determining to whom scholarships are awarded, and the amount of each scholarship. Note that you do NOT have to be a recipient of the BITS merit-cum-need scholarships in order to apply.
- The scholarships are given out in the faith that students, who benefit from it, will support future applicants
- The evaluation panel looks at a broad set of parameters while evaluating your application for the Graduate Application Scholarship. The following are some pointers to help you frame your application and essay well while applying:
- In addition to academic performance, technical capability/ expertise (which are reflected in your projects, research, papers, etc) and leadership abilities, you must ensure you highlight your zeal to pursue the chosen field of interest.
- The panel also carefully looks at the clarity you have of the area you have chosen for higher studies, and your aspirations post graduate studies.
- Your essay must be built around both the points mentioned above. The panel wishes to learn about what you want to do in addition to what you have done till now.